Happy Kids, Inc: Trophies.....For The Win?
Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Trophies.....For The Win?

My kids have been involved in sports since kindergarten.  They have enjoyed primarily soccer, but also basketball, t-ball, and dance.  Overall, all endeavors have been an amazingly gratifying experience, both for them and for myself as a parent.  

As a child, both myself and my husband were involved in sports from a young age.  I excelled at swimming and basketball, my husband in football.  I can distinctly remember the "old-fashioned" gym I used to practice in as a second grade basketball player, complete with dark wood floors and oversized metal lights hanging from above.  

Why did I get involved in sports at such a young age?  I imagine most of it was a heavy influence from my parents, particularly my Dad, who was an accomplished basketball player.  I also think it was because I was an active, social child and sports was a natural activity to at least try.  As it turned out, I loved both basketball and swimming and did very well at each sport.  

Even at a young age, we competed in swimming.  There were swim meets, they kept score, I got blue ribbons and the occasional trophy.....when I won or was honored with a title such as "Most Inspirational".  

It wasn't so "easy" with basketball; there were no ribbons or trophies until high school.  And even then, it was only for accomplishing something I am quite proud of:  playing varsity basketball as a sophomore and going to the state tournament.

Did I feel I was missing something for not having a large bulletin size board of ribbons? I don't think so.  Was I bummed (or did I even know) about trophies in second grade?  Nope.  I just loved playing and hanging out as a team.  Besides, where would I put all those trophies?

So, when did this perfectly acceptable and, dare I say, normal procedure in sports change?  When was the official launch of the participation trophy?  

I have been asked by parents who are team leaders, or by the coaches themselves, if we are "going to do a trophy for the team".  It's an inevitable question, it has become a commonplace inquiry.  It seems to me that most parents are cows in a herd and just go along with what appears to be the general consensus to get them for every member of the team.  There are times I haven't been asked, it's just a statement and that your money is due by Friday.  I even heard from one parent on one of my child's teams remark that a trophy was the only reason her child was playing this year.  



First of all, let me tackle this from a financial standpoint.  Recreational sports these days are not inexpensive. There are the team fees, buying the needed gear, traveling to games, and (ugh!) snack duty.  Coaches gifts (and rightly so) are decided on at the end of the season.  So, although a trophy or medal may "only be $10", it adds up to a lot when you add it on to other expenses, as well as families having multiple children in sports.

I posed this question to my followers on my Facebook page and the crux of the conversation focused on the competitive nature of sports and the earning of the trophy.  Here are a few highlights:

"Losing is a lesson all kids need to learn...."

"...kids don't understand what it means to be an athlete...

"It depends on the age......for my son (age 8), this is crazy....."

"Losing is a great lesson in life....."

I'm certainly not saying the comments I received are a scientific survey by any means, but it certainly aids in the conversation on the subject.  My overall feeling on the topic is my concern of what I am setting as an expectation and example for my children.  My kids have had amazing seasons so far this year.  But what if they had tried their best without much success?  What if they just plain sucked?  It's like those awful contestants on American Idol who have sworn they have been told by everyone they know that they are amazing singers..  Then comes the harsh reality check, you're not! I can be a gracious, proud parent without handing them a trophy.  Can't memories of a fun season be memorialized in photographs and memories?

Ultimately, I want my kids to have a competitive spirit, fight for a win, and be bummed if they lose.  And similar to other endeavors in their lives (like school), they are rewarded accordingly.


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png

6 comments:

  1. It's hard to get the balance right. I don't want to be too pushy. Fitness should be about fun and health too. It's great when you win, but some children are more bookish and creative (I was like that, although good at ballet and dance) and competitive sport is not for them.

    Louisa @ My Family & Abruzzo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree that some kids are cut out for sports and some are not. I think you discover if they are meant for the sport after a season. To me, though, the ultimate drive of sports is it's competitive spirit and the point is that there is a winner, maybe 2nd or 3rd place (a la the Olympics), and a loser.

      Delete
  2. So far my Kiddies haven't started on the sports path yet. We do tons of activities that are physical but they are more like dance no trophies involved (yet). I think each of my Kiddies would handle a competitive situation differently simply because of their personalities. I would encourage them to do what they liked either way and try to guide them as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meg,
    I couldn't agree with you more. I have three kids and only one is athletic and that's fine. I don't have to have the others participate in sports just because everyone else has jumped on the sports bandwagon. Kids are who they are, let them be. Also, trophies are for those who earn it, not just for those who tried. Kids will never learn to try their hardest at something if they are praised for just being there. Alot of people will disagree with me, but I stand my ground.

    Ida

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello,
    Nice blog. The kids should also participate in the athletic games which will motivate them to become a great sports man in future. Thanks for sharing it..

    Jaycee Trophies Website

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips