Happy Kids, Inc: The School Cafeteria: A Kid's Point of View
Monday, November 25, 2013

The School Cafeteria: A Kid's Point of View

Well, I must be doing something right.  My 9 year old daughter eats really well, makes good choices even without me, is growing to love cooking, and generally has a good awareness of how the right food nourishes our bodies.  

So, recently when we happened to bump into the district's superintendent at a local event, she had a question for him.  She was brave enough to ask him the question.  She inquired about the greasiness of the pizza at school.  She also expressed concern over the amount of food that gets thrown away at lunch.  We both were surprised to find out that the pizza had hidden vegetables in the sauce and that the cheese was lowfat.  My daughter concluded it must be the pepperoni causing the grease and he offered to look into it.  My daughter informed him her favorite school lunch was chicken and waffles; he didn't realize we had that as an option. So, it looks like my daughter might have an upcoming lunch date with the superintendent!


That's what brings me to this blog post.  I decided to interview my daughter about school lunches, her favorite foods, and her concerns.  Here goes:

1.  What Are Some of Your Favorite Foods? Chicken nuggets, pizza, ice cream, Mexican food, strawberries, apples, zucchini, broccoli, and almond butter.

2.  What Do You Wish Your School Cafeteria Offered That They Currently Don't Have?  Almond butter sandwiches, whole wheat bread for sandwiches, kiwi fruit, zucchini sticks.

3.  What Is Your Favorite School Lunch?  Chicken and waffles.

4.  What Can't You Stand At School Lunch? Nachos.

5.  What Are Some Of Your Friends Favorite Lunches?  Hamburgers, nachos.

6.  What's One Thing You Would Change About Your School Cafeteria? Eliminate some of the unhealthy choices, like the nachos.  For the food that kids don't eat, offer a compost bin or save it for farmer's to pick up to feed their pigs.

My favorite part of this interview was her idea about the leftover food for the farm animals.  We live in a suburb that actually has a heavy farming and agricultural base, so this idea actually seems feasible!  I'll keep you posted.


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png

2 comments:

  1. So adorable! I remember how cool lunch time was as a kid! The cafeteria is where everything was happening! I think it's awesome that the superintendent listens to the kids and their opinions! Awesome!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! He is a great guy and seemed very genuine as he talked to my daughter. When my kids come home from school, lunch is the first thing they share about their day, whether it was the food, what someone did, etc.

      Delete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips