Happy Kids, Inc: A Mom's Review of Thor: The Dark World
Sunday, November 17, 2013

A Mom's Review of Thor: The Dark World

Let me preface this review with statement that our household is a huge fan of the Avenger's and all things superhero!  So, I suppose going into the movie, we were slightly biased in being predisposed to liking the movie, but I will try to bring some objective reviewing to this article.  

Thor: The Dark World is the follow up to the original Thor movies from 2 years ago, as well as building off the popular Avengers movie from 2012.  As you might expect, the movie is filled with an enticing storyline, plenty of heroic action, and, of course, good looking people!  What resonated with me and this versus the first Thor, is that Chris Hemsworth (Thor), Anthony Hopkins (Odin), and Tom Hiddleston (Loki) are so believable in their character form.  They play their parts well.  I was surprised at how drawn I was to Loki and wanting him to be good and work with his brother, although he was still full of rage.

Photo courtesy of Telegraph UK
The main reason I choose to write movie reviews is to give my take on whether it's acceptable for you to take your children to.  All parents have a wide scale of what they deem an acceptable movie for young children.  So, I don't bring this review to you as an endorsement per se.  I am merely sharing with you what we are watching, as well as touching on parts of the movie that might be sensitive for some viewers.

The language in the movie is little elevated versus the first movie.  Unofficially, I counted 2 "hells" and 1 "s$*t".  As a parent, I immediately was a little shocked at the "s" word and our children already know that's a word that is sometimes heard, but that we, as a family, choose not to use in everyday conversation.  But generally, I am a liberal but involved when it comes to these types of movies that I let my children watch.

In regards to the action scenes, there are some intense moments of beings becoming "fire ridden".  There are a few up close and personal shots of swords and daggers being driven into other people.  I would compare the intensity of this movie to that of The Avenger's.  I didn't find it as intense as Ironman 3.  

Overall, this movie delivers with great action scenes, some fun, humorous one-liners here and there, and the quintessential Stan Lee cameo tucked in there.  I was comfortable taking my children (9, 7, 5) and we had a great time.
Photo Courtesy of Happy Kids, Inc


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png

4 comments:

  1. i really want to watch this movie, my eldest who is 8 would really like this, thanks for the review

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big thumbs up, still thinking about it this morning!

      Delete
  2. Thanks s much for the review!! We too are big avenger and superhero fans. We LOVED The Avengers movie. I always struggle to get honest opinions of movies and whether or not they would be appropriate for my kids ages 8 & 5! I think the Ironman movies are way intense but my kids do ok with them. Thanks again!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, when we took them to Ironman, I found myself moving my hand over my 5 year old's eyes on some of those intense scenes! I didn't feel the need to do that with this one, though. I am sure your kids will love it!

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips