Happy Kids, Inc: Ironman 3 Review: Would You Take Your Kids?
Sunday, May 26, 2013

Ironman 3 Review: Would You Take Your Kids?

It's the holiday weekend.  We have no big travel plans, just a laid back 3 day weekend. We don't go to the movies too often, so we thought we would take the whole family today.  We decided on Ironman 3.  

Both myself and my husband screen, yet are fairly liberal when it comes to the movies we let our children watch.  They've seen Pirates of the Caribbean, Jurassic Park, The Avengers, and other similar movies.  My viewpoint on the violence in these movies is that they know that it is make believe.  They also know that this is not how we would choose to act.  If a "bad word" is said in a movie, they immediately call it out and know that is not a word that we would use in our conversations.  

We did a brief survey of some friends who had seen the movie with their children. They did note some intense scenes that might be scary.  My summation was that it seemed like it was going to be comparable to some of the other movies they had seen.
Ironman 3 For Kids?
Image care of www.g4tv.com
Ironman 3 proved to be a spectacular movie.  Action packed, a good pace between the storyline/dialogue and the action scenes.  Honestly, it's my favorite Ironman of the series, and probably one of the best action movies I've seen ever!  I won't spoil it for those who have yet to see the movie, but I will note the "bad guys" in the movie were intense and a little alarming and we found ourselves covering the eyes of our 4 year old a few times.  My 9 and 7 year old were comfortable and enjoyed the entire movie.  I also noted exactly two "swear words" (hell and damn, each said once).  

For me, the most questionable part of the movie were the brief shots of girls in bikinis. Although Tony Stark's womanizing is "peppered" by the presence of his main squeeze, Pepper, they still somehow managed to eek in gratuitous scenes of women, a few "playing dumb", in bikinis.  To me, this is more of an issue than violence in movies.  As a mother raising a girl, I am more worried about this and the impression it leaves on her.  

But much like the violence, such a topic takes proper coaching from the parents.  I know that some parents out there would never dream of letting their children watch such a movie.  For me, I don't like the idea of keeping my children too sheltered.  I hope I'm finding the happy medium between the world and how I feel is the best way for them to live within it.  

Would you take your kids to see Ironman 3?


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png

12 comments:

  1. I am just not really into the IronMan Series, but I suppose when my girls were older if they wanted to see this movie or something similar my husband would be the one to take them, because this is more his speed anyways. But I can see some parents points, but are more with you on this one for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this Iron man movie. If Hayden could understand I'm sure he would have loved it too :D

    I can tell the movie isn't aimed towards 'kids' which is understandable but its not a BAD movie so I wouldn't mind bringing him with me maybe 10+
    Great post hun, thanks for sharing

    Lotte xo
    BericeBaby || Baby & Lifestyle Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lotte. I agree, definitely not at a kids' level. I had to do a lot of translating for my youngest, putting things into his terms. But overall, they loved the action scenes of the movie!

      Delete
  3. Not an Iron men lover but I rather take them to see Epic which I didn't think to do and should of but my daughter is not home this weekend she is with her dad and won't be back till Monday afternoon

    ReplyDelete
  4. My boys (9, 11 and 45 aka Hubby) want to see Iron Man really bad. We have been very liberal on what movies our boys see too. They get the difference between what's real and what's not and they understand what words are bad and that these are not words children should use. I don't believe in overly sheltering them either. I share with them certain events going on in the world and use them as talking points for later decisions in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dawn, thanks for your comment. That pretty much sums up how I've been with our children, too.

      Delete
  5. I loved Iron Man 3 as well (reviewed in my blog last week) but would not consider taking my almost-7-yr-old. I'm sure he'd love it, he's seen the final battle scenes of Iron Man 2 multiple times on cable, but when he sees this type of movie, especially on the big screen, it affects his behavior negatively for days afterward. Maybe in a year or two he'll be ready, each kid processes things differently, and parents are the best judges of what their kids can handle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agree. I know some kids of the same age as mine would probably be crying during the movie! So every child is different, 100% agree.

      Delete
  6. I heard the movie is good and am planning on going. LOVE Robert Downey Junior!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post, I actually thought about that too. I love Iron Man and all the Marvel movies, and we do let the kids watch them as you said it is very "comic book" like so they get it. My issue came in with the guy in bed with two (dumb acting) girls. If I made the choice to take them knowing the rating, I gotta figure out a way to explain that. Yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ironman 3 is out on DVD and we are watching it again tonight!

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips