Happy Kids, Inc: Upcycled Christmas Cards: Garland!
Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Upcycled Christmas Cards: Garland!

I have hundreds of Christmas cards from years gone by.  I just can't recycle them, yet they are clogging up drawers, desks, and bags here and there in my house.  I was brainstorming ideas on how to use them in a craft project.  So, I came up with garland.  


Grab a pencil and a round item that you can use to trace the area you want to cut out.  I used the top of a small round plastic to go container.  A lid or rim of a cup would work, too.  Outline the area to be cut.  I had my kids do the cutting; although not perfectly straight, it adds a cute touch knowing that they helped with the project.  

Select some beautiful ribbon.  I had some pretty red satin ribbon with gold snowflakes on it, so I used that.  I did not pre-cut, I just unrolled a bit and started gluing.  Put a spot of hot glue directly on one side of the ribbon and adhere one of the card cut-outs.  Leave about a 2-3 inch space between each one.  I glued 3 and then reversed the ribbon and glued 3 more on the backsides, too.  That way, when you hang the garland, you won't have to worry about hanging it just right so the back doesn't show.  

Continue this process until you have used all your cutouts.  I ended up gluing 42 circles, or 21 two-sided sections.  I added it to our tree, but I think it would look equally cute across the top of a window or on the wall.  You could even mount it and use clothespins to hold cards from this year!

                           

4 comments:

  1. Great idea. Do you save the signatures? Or do you just save the front picture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be a nice touch to make the back side of each card a section of the signature of who gave you the card. Then when you look at the garland year to year, you are reminded of them. For my version, I didn't do that; I just used different card covers through the garland. But I love that idea!

      Delete
  2. This is a really cute idea! Thanks for sharing it with us! I will be sure to mention this in my "Inspirational Thursdays" blog post tomorrow! I feature different ideas on my blog each Thursday that I want to try!

    This would also be a great way to showcase coloring pages or maybe small work the children do at school. You could make garland for every occasion under the sun!

    I look forward to learning more! Keep on blogging! I will be following along :) Be sure to stop by my blog soon!

    http://countrymomcreations.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great idea to incorporate kids' art projects in garland, I love that! Thanks for considering me for your blog.

      Heading over to your's now and will follow and do a follow on Twitter, too. :)

      Delete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips