Happy Kids, Inc: Cookie Highlight: Huestele
Monday, December 17, 2012

Cookie Highlight: Huestele

Huestele (pronounced roo-sta-lay) is a traditional Croatian cookie.  It is really a cross between a pastry and a cookie, but my grandmother always called them cookies.  My Mom, sister, and myself get together every December to make them.  Although only incorporating 5 ingredients, they are a true "labor of love".



Ingredients:

6 eggs
6 tablespoons sugar
6 tablespoons brandy
1/2 cup butter (melted)
2-2 1/2 cups pastry flour

Canola or other vegetable oil (for frying)
Powdered sugar

In a blender, combine eggs with sugar.  Beat on high for 5-7 minutes, until they take on a frothy, off-white look.  Add butter, brandy, and 2 cups of flour.  Blend.  Add additional flour until the mixture takes on a dough consistency.

Transfer to a floured board and knead well until smooth.  Take a small baseball size chunk and transfer to floured board.  With a rolling pin, roll until very, very thin.  With a rolling pastry cutter, cut the dough into 1 inch wide strips that are about 6 inches long.  Continue process until you have cut all the dough.


Heat canola oil in a skillet at 375 degrees.  It should be about 2 inches deep in the pan.  Gently add dough strips to oil.  Cook until crispy, about 2 minutes on each side (use tongs to flip them while cooking).  Transfer to a towel, let "dry" for a minute or two; dust with powdered sugar.

To store, line storage containers with wax paper and use wax paper to layer the cookies.

9 comments:

  1. I love making yummy family recipes during the holidays. And this sounds so yummy
    Carlee
    Almost Endearing

    ReplyDelete
  2. How unusual, sounds just super yummy:) I am pinning to try. Thanks for stopping by and I am now returning the visit. I am following via GFC and on my way to follow on Twitter.

    Would love to invite you to share this post or any of your favorite posts at Freedom Fridays Blog Hop (no rules and goes live on Thursdays at 7pm mst) Hope to see you there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly....different, but addicting, trust me! And thanks for the pin. I will definitely check out the Freedom Fridays Blog Hop tomorrow night.

      Delete
  3. I am returning the visit! Now following you back! These "cookies" look very tasty!

    DeDe@DesignedDecor

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I would let you know in case you didn't see the post that you won my giveaway! Send me an e-mail (my e-mail is on my profile) and let me know your address so I can send you the scarf.

    www.thepreppylittlepolkadot.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so excited to try your recipe! I have looked for over a year for a huestele recipe but always had the incorrect spelling! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips