Happy Kids, Inc: Can I Slow The Kids Down So I Can Teach Them More?
Monday, December 24, 2012

Can I Slow The Kids Down So I Can Teach Them More?

For a lot of you parents out there, Christmas ranks pretty high, if not the highest, among happiest times spent with your children.  Nothing beats the wonderment of watching them gaze at lights, bake cookies, turn the Advent calendar days, and open presents.  My children still believe in Santa Claus, and I love preparing those gifts.

But it's also this time of year that I find myself saying "slow down" in regards to them growing up.  I know, I know, all parents say this phrase over and over.  They grown up so fast, let's slow things down, can't they be little just be little a little longer?  But I find myself saying this more often this time of year.

For some reason, these thoughts transcend into "am I doing enough for them?"  I often get overwhelmed at how much I want to teach my children, to expose them to, and make sure they learn.  I try to find that balance of letting them be kids and ensuring they are pushing themselves academically.  If we don't read a book for a day or two, I sometimes feel uneasy.  If they aren't genuinely excited about learning something new, I wonder why.

Please understand, my children are pretty outstanding in regards to being ahead of the curve academically and wanting to enrich themselves with books, art, and activities; they certainly are not glued constantly to games, the t.v., or other mindless activities.  As they start to excel at something, I feel the need to push them more.

Recently, at the end of last summer, I taught my 8 and 6 year olds the state capitals.  They memorized all 50 within about a month's time.  All the while, they were also honing their geographic familiarity with the USA, as well as a few fun facts about the states.  I still am quizzing them occasionally and they are rock solid.  So I immediately say to myself, we must go further.  A focus study on our state?  Let's memorize all the state birds!  Pick a topic.  They seemed to genuinely like learning the capitals, so let's take it to the next level.

Bottom line, at the end of the day, I know I am doing all I can for my kids.  Simply being engaged and energized about their lives and their learning will speak mountains for them in the future.

But gosh darn it, will you be sure to read 20 minutes before falling asleep tonight?

Merry Christmas.


2 comments:

  1. This is so important! It is easy to beat yourself up for all the things you think you "should" do. Really all they want is to be loved on! I have to remind myself of this often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! Love them and they will find their way. :)

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips