Happy Kids, Inc: A WAHM Becomes A WOHM
Tuesday, June 2, 2015

A WAHM Becomes A WOHM

By Meg Hodson

My oldest child is 11. I have been at home with all three of my children for their entire existence. I have been at home for my entire existence AS A MOM. Not to say it hasn't been hard work or been easy. I have run my wedding business successfully for 10+ years now. I started my blog three years ago---with a lot of dedication, passion, and hard work, it's a flourishing side business as well. 

And all the while, I perfected my schedule to work seamlessly around school, soccer games, dance recitals, bike rides, and play dates. It was a well-oiled engine, humming along. 

As much as I love the flexibility and creativity that working from home allows, there is also that darker side that no one often talks about. If you have owned your own business, you know there are your "up times" and your "down times". When it's good, it's really good. But when it's the dry season, there is no water in sight. Don't get me wrong, being able to support my family with an at-home business has been a blessing. But it's been tough, too, and the roller coaster of an uneven pay schedule has been dizzying. Couple that with my husband's launch into his own business as a mortgage advisor and it becomes even more stressful. 


There is something to be said for a steady paycheck. But my decision to "get back out there" and find a job with a company was not solely based on wanting some stability in our family income. I had reached a pivotal point in my career at home that required me to decide which road to focus my efforts on. The road for me was definitely pointing toward writing and social media.

I dusted off my resume, ironed my favorite black dress, and had two interviews fairly quickly. That in and of itself was rewarding. I ended up taking one of those first positions I applied for and have officially been at a desk that is not in my home for nearly 2 months. I am enjoying my job, but it has not come without some challenges.

First, it was a big transition to be working out of the home and spending less time with my family. I was quickly missing walking my children to school and the familiar routine of being at home. But I was also enjoying a new adventure, feeling renewed energy to demonstrate my skill and passion. 

While it was a transition, I decided to not get too melancholy. I shifted my thinking. First, my husband was getting time with my kids that he has never gotten before. 

Secondly, I began to appreciate my children even more. Not that I didn't prior to working outside the home, but I began to make the most of my time with them. Weekends have become extra special for me. 

Lastly, I started to give myself a pat on the back. I am already getting some kudos at work for some of the work I am doing and that feels great. It's been 20 years since I have been in an office environment and I feel I am doing a darn good job. And I now know what it feels like to put that key in the front door, unlock it, and have the kids run to my open arms. That feeling is definitely priceless. 


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips