Happy Kids, Inc: Fun Recipe Friday: Veggie Chili
Friday, December 21, 2012

Fun Recipe Friday: Veggie Chili

I love this recipe.  It's easy to throw into the crockpot and is ready in 3 hours.  I am a vegetarian, but my children eat meat occasionally and my husband does enjoy meat.  But we do "Meatless Mondays" in our house, as well as incorporating vegetarian dinners off and on throughout the week.  This one works well for "fussy eaters", who are convinced they need meat in their chili.  With plenty of beans and quinoa, it is satisfying and hearty.

Ingredients:

6 cans of cooked beans (I use 3 black bean, 1 kidney bean, 1 white bean, and 1 pinto bean)
1 regular can tomato sauce
1 can diced tomatoes
1 small onion
1 red pepper
1 cup cooked quinoa
1/4 cup lemon juice
1 tbl. granulated garlic
1 tbl. cumin
1 tbl oregano
1 tbl. chili powder
1 tbl parsley
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tbl cocoa powder (unsweetened)
Few shakes of tabasco sauce

Three-Bean Veggie Chili

Slice and dice the onion and red pepper and saute in a little oil and dash of salt for 5 minutes.  Meanwhile, drain all beans and place in crockpot.  Add tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, lemon juice, all spices, cocoa, and tabasco.  Add onion/pepper mix to the crockpot.  Mix well.  Cook on the lowest setting.

While cooking, prepare the quinoa according to directions.  A 1/2 cup dry should yield about 1 cup.  Be sure to rinse it well.  If cooking 1/2 cup dry, you will need almost a cup of water.  Combine water and quinoa in pot, bring to boil, cover, and cook 15 minutes on low.  Turn off and let sit 5 more minutes.

After the chili has been cooking an hour and a half, stir in the cooked quinoa.  Continue cooking for another hour or so.  If it becomes too thick, you can add a little water as it cooks.

Chili freezes well, so I usually divide into two part.  I freeze half and then have dinner for that night and another night.  Melt some cheese on top, add sour cream or greek yogurt if desired, avocado slices, and serve hot.

This chili also works well as a good dip, especially with melted cheese on top.

 

5 comments:

  1. I love your blog! I am now following you.
    Happy Holidays,
    Elle
    lifebodyharmony.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Meg,
    What a yummy recipe. My hsband is a meat-eater, but he doesn't eat beans so I would have to balance that out.

    Karina
    www.momintheusa.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks amazing! I am going to try this! I too am a vegetarian with a meat loving husband (who's now eating a lot more vegetables in his diet) and a child! Dinner can sometimes be a bit tricky - this looks great! I look forward to seeing some more recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, I definitely try to post recipes that parents and kids will LOVE! I don't like it when there has to be 7 pots dirtied because this child needs that, that child needs this, etc. Everyone should be able to enjoy the same meal. ;)

      Delete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips