Happy Kids, Inc: What Do I Do With That Spice?
Monday, March 2, 2015

What Do I Do With That Spice?

By Meg Hodson

I received complimentary samples from Olde Westport Spice Company in exchange for my review. All opinions remain 100% my own.

I am often dazzled and albeit overwhelmed by the varieties of spices and spice blends out there! If you are someone like me who likes to cook regularly and create recipes, it can be hard to keep track and remember which spice works well in which recipes. 

I recently received some amazing spices from Olde Westport Spice Company and thought it would be good to make a list of common spices, some not so common, and spice blends and what their best uses are. Olde Westport Spice Company creates custom spice blends, seasonings and dry soups. Olde Westport Spice & Trading Company is a 33-year-old spice manufacturer that is still going strong. This online company operates a small plant in Goodland, Kansas, and knows a thing or two about spices, seasonings and soups. 

I hope you find this list helpful when cooking and creating new recipes. With this list, I am assuming you know what to do with basic spices like salt, garlic, and pepper.

Olde Westport Spice and Trading Company how to use spices


1. Oregano. This is possibly one of my favorite spices, only because I think it takes second fiddle to basil and parsley. Oregano, for me, is a staple in Mexican sauces, Mexican recipes, Italian sauces, and even a dash in eggs tastes amazing!

2. Paprika. I almost use smoked paprika exclusively now; that smoke flavor works perfectly in recipes that call for paprika. For that "secret ingredient" feeling in recipes, use paprika in dips, chili, macaroni and cheese, Mexican sauces, egg salad, sauces, and soup.

3. Nutmeg. Okay, I know you probably are very familiar with nutmeg and routinely add it to pumpkin pie, muffins, and other baked goods. What many don't know is that nutmeg is that perfect last spice for cream sauces, like alfredo. I also sometimes put a few dashes in my homemade marinara sauce. It's perfect when roasting root vegetables, like turnips. When making butternut squash with a savory profile (i.e., olive oil, sea salt, etc.), it compliments the squash nicely. And once again, it is perfect in Mexican sauces, like enchilada sauce. 

4. Mesquite. I say "mesquite" and I think most of you will think of beef. But surprisingly, it also works great with fish and chicken. I also used my sample of Olde Westport Spices on roasted root vegetables and they turned out great!

5. Traditional Chili Seasoning vs. Chili Verde. These two spice blends are similar, but to me, the main difference is "spice vs. tanginess". Chili verde spice blends have that more pungent, tang that some people prefer not only in their chili, but in other dishes like soup. Traditional chili blends are what most associate with a good, meaty chili; it's packed with chili powder, paprika, and red chili peppers. Both compliment traditional chili recipes, your personal preference will determine which one you choose.

6. Dill. I love adding dill to egg salad, fish, and even chicken. Not as common is using dill on fresh fruit. I love to actually mix it with diced mint leaves for a refreshing summer salad. 

7. Bay Leaves. I love to add a few to soups or stews in the crockpot. Be sure to remove before serving.

8. Chocolate. Many don't think of chocolate as a spice necessarily, but I find myself using it in sauces quite a bit (give your enchilada sauce or homemade BBQ sauce a flair) and I always put a few dashes in my chili.

What are your favorite spices and how do you use them? Be sure to take advantage of 10% off Olde Westport Spices by using the discount code usfamilyguide.


Follow along:
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips