Happy Kids, Inc: When You Meet One Of Your Idols....
Wednesday, February 19, 2014

When You Meet One Of Your Idols....

By Meg Hodson

Disclosure: American Idol covered my travel expenses for my recent trip.  All views expressed here are my own.

Music has always been a part of my life.  When I was in preschool, I treasured my Elton John and Carpenters records.  I knew all the words to all the songs; I vividly remember the record player at my preschool when I brought a record for show and tell. 

Passion for my favorite music continued throughout high school.  My bedroom didn't need wallpaper; I created my own out of Duran Duran posters.  In college, I loved a diverse mix of music.  I went to Aerosmith concerts one week, David Bowie the next.  I suppose you could say I had a love affair with music.  

It should come as no surprise that I would become a fan of a show like American Idol.  The funny part is I didn't watch the first season.  My sister and cousin were so in shock at this news; they wouldn't take no for an answer for season 2 viewing.  I was instantly hooked.  The music, the singing, the competition, picking your favorites.  It was a good fit. I loved it.  

As we fast forward to that famous tweet I received from American Idol, asking me to go behind-the-scenes, I, of course, was more than happy to oblige.  I could have never imagined I would be writing this blog post for you now, with 3 trips under my Spanx  belt.  

American Idol boot camp workshop DaughtryAmerican Idol boot camp workshop Daughtry

American Idol boot camp workshop Daughtry
Maurice, Spencer, and Caleb hanging out and practicing
My most recent trip was with 2 fellow #IdolTweethearts as we got exclusive access to Idol's version of "boot camp" for the Top 31 contestants.  The contestants were participating in workshops perfecting their voice, stage presence, style, make-up, fashion, and  interviewing.  To help with the mentoring, American Idol brought along Randy Jackson, Adam Lambert, and Chris Daughtry.  I'm sorry, what did that say?  I was going to possibly have the chance to see/meet/touch Daughtry?  Word has been out for a long time (I suppose since season 5) that I am a BIG fan of the man.  I guess the modern day version of my preschool experience would be me bring my iPod to class with his music, ready to play on a wireless speaker.  

With the ocean as our office for the day, we had martinis for lunch, chatted with top level Fox producers, stalked chatted with the Top 31 contestants, and were interviewed by Adam Havener of Vevo for their exclusive Idol Insider series. Somehow, I was cool as an ice cold Diet Coke amidst all of THAT.  And then (drum roll.............), the moment arrived. No big deal, time to meet Daughtry.  I will admit to a few butterflies; thankfully it was a cool coastal California day, otherwise I might have needed a few extra swipes of Secret.  I am happy to report that he is a most gracious rock star. He happily chatted for a few minutes and took some photos.  You could say it made my year; I don't think that's overstating it. 

American Idol boot camp workshop Daughtry


I'm honored and blessed that I get to take this journey and give THE FANS a behind-the-scenes look from another fan. Stay tuned for more sneak peeks.


09 10 11 12
Blogging tips