Happy Kids, Inc: Charge Baby Charge
Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Charge Baby Charge

We live in a rechargeable world.  Our cell phones are rechargeable and we have various ways that we recharge them:  at our home, in our car, at the airport, in a stereo.  I was brainstorming what rechargeable items I have in my home and the list grew pretty quickly.  In addition to my cell phone, I came up with this list:

Laptop, toothbrush, iPod, calculator, Leap Frog game for the kids, remote control cars, bluetooth for our phones, cordless drill, digital picture frame.

I am sure there are a few things I even forgot.  In our ever-increasing world of wireless, cord-free items, batteries are in everything: video games, kids' toys, flameless candles, remote controls, wireless mouses for computers, car alarm remotes, flashlights.  

For me, it has become second nature to keep rechargeable batteries on hand.  I am not sure what took me so long!  I am a very eco-conscious person and try to reduce waste whenever possible.  I think I always thought with rechargeable batteries, you would always be charging batteries or not have any charged on hand.  Not true!  When you buy them, they usually come pre-charged and once you charge them overnight at home, they can be stored until ready to use.  The brand I have bought and used, Sanyo's Eneloop batteries, come with convenient storage cases, so once I charge them I put them in these cases and keep them in a drawer in the kitchen for quick access.  As batteries run out on a given device, I pull them, replace with what I have charged in my drawer, and begin charging what I just pulled from said device.  
For me, a supply of 12 double AA's and 6 triple AA's works well.  You should only need one charger, as they power both the AA and AAA size batteries.  I recently discovered these convenient spacers to use in products requiring C or D size batteries.  Think of the spacer as an adapter:  it holds the AA battery in it's center and then you insert the entire piece in, say, a flashlight that requires a C or D size battery.....and it powers it (see photo below)!  No need to fuss with numerous sizers and chargers.  
The best part for me is the money I have saved, I would guess at least $100 at this point.  The initial investment in the batteries and chargers will range from $25-$40, but that quickly pays itself back.....and then some.

It also feels great not to toss all those used alkaline batteries in the trash.  Not only is this environmentally unfriendly, but you must think of it as throwing away money, too.  

Finally, it sets a great example for your kids.  My children are so used to so many things charging in our home that to them, having rechargeable batteries is just normal.  And that's really how it should be.


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!

5 comments:

  1. hi! am your newest follower....your blog is so cute!

    www.prettylittledahlia.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gonna get me some! Thanks!

    xx,
    klee

    kisskissbyklee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so informative, thank you. I am following you back from the GFC Blog Hop. You are listed as a "no-reply" blogger so I couldn't reply to you via email. This works though. I look forward to see what else you write about!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Now following back from the GFC Hop! Thanks for joining in!
    Ashley:)

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips