Happy Kids, Inc: Fun Recipe Friday: Sweet Potato Pancakes
Thursday, March 28, 2013

Fun Recipe Friday: Sweet Potato Pancakes


Pancakes are, of course, a mainstay in our household.  I never buy mixes, I make my own.  I keep it very healthy, usually with spelt or other alternative flours.  I often keep them egg-free and thicken with flax seed, applesauce, and more.  

I was whipping up this recipe for my Mom, who is eating a gluten-free, egg-free, dairy-free, corn-free diet!  Pretty crazy!  But she loves pancakes, so I was determined.  I started with my basic pancake recipe (substituting the appropriate ingredients), but was hoping she had some pumpkin on hand to thicken them up.  She didn't, but she did have white sweet potatoes.  I steamed it quickly, chopped it in, and the results were amazing.  

Sweet Potato Pancakes (yields about 12-14 pancakes)

2 cups flour of choice (I use half spelt, half millet flour)
1/2 cup quick cook oats
2 tablespoons ground flax seed meal
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 cup dairy free yogurt (I use vanilla-flavored coconut yogurt)
1 3/4-2 cups dairy free milk (I like coconut, oat, or hazelnut milk)
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1/3 cup applesauce 
1 white sweet potato, cooked, mashed
Fresh blueberries (optional)


In a sifter, blend flour, salt, baking soda, and cinnamon into a medium bowl.  Stir in oats and flax seed.  Add milk, vanilla, yogurt, applesauce, and maple syrup.  Wrap sweet potato in plastic wrap and cook on high in a microwave for 5 minutes.  Mash in a small bowl with potato masher, then blend into pancake mixture.  Heat a griddle to 350 degrees; reduce to 325 degrees and cook pancakes about 3 minutes on each side.  Add fresh blueberries while cooking (if desired).  Drizzle with real maple syrup.


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!

8 comments:

  1. pinkowl07.blogspot.com/2013/03/good-friday-blog-hop_29.html Please be sure to come by my blog hop and link up with me. Dont forget to share with your friends

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, heading your way now.

      Delete
    2. One more note: be sure to read my post from this week about incoming links. It will show you how to make that link you entered on your comment clickable for readers!

      Delete
  2. Sounds delicious Meg and seriously thanks for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine. You are such an avid reader, thank you so much. :)

      Delete
  3. The best pancakes are always from scratch:)
    Hopping through with the Thumping Thursday Blog Hop! Hope you have a great day!
    Nicky
    www.feelingtheemptynest.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I have visited your lovely blog, but will head there now....;)

      Delete
  4. What a neat idea!

    Thanks for linking up at the Link Up this week! :)

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips