Happy Kids, Inc: When You Want To Give Something Other Than "Stuff"
Tuesday, December 23, 2014

When You Want To Give Something Other Than "Stuff"

By Meg Hodson

Giving presents to people is one of my favorite things to do. Whether it's Christmas, a birthday, or other special occasion, I love watching people open gifts! 

Naturally, with three young children and the holidays here, my mind shifts to, among other important parts of the season, what I can buy them for Christmas. I know my kids so well and have a lot of fun finding treasures that I know they will truly enjoy. Sometimes, I don't even have to try too hard; I love it when I am in a store and I see something that just screams "(insert child's name here)". 

But before all the fun shopping and gift discovering happens, my husband and I have a moment. It's a moment we have every year. We might be standing in one of our childrens' room. We might be in the play room. Or, we might be looking at the pile of giveaway items lingering in our garage. And the question is uttered: "Do we really need to buy them more stuff?"

We have grandparents, aunt, uncles, and friends that are going to shower them with "stuff". They've still got plenty of "stuff" that they use and enjoy. And let's face it, that "stuff" costs a lot of money. 



Christmas Meaningful Gifts

So, what have I done differently this year to keep the "stuff" in check? Here are a few choices I made:

1. Give Meaningful Gifts. What I mean by this is to seek out items they will like, but that also might make a difference in someone's life or give to charity. Numerous charities sell items that will benefit their cause. I recently discovered Across Africa, offering amazing handmade baskets, jewelry, bags and more. They benefit and support workers, essentially small business owners, in African countries. If you have that hard to buy for person or want to get something unique, this is the perfect site. My daughter is going to love her basket. I snapped up a make-up bag for my stocking, too. 

2. Give Time. Throughout the year, my husband and I schedule a few "Daddy/Daughter Dates", "Mommy/Son Dates", and so on. It might be lunch and rollerskating; it could be dinner and a movie. Bottom line is my children value that special one-on-one time. We tied in a few gifts this year coupled with these "dates". For example, we have a year pass to the science museum and my son can schedules "dates" with us to go. We also bought movie passes for my daughter (great stocking stuffer!) and again, when there is a movie she wants to see, she can schedule a "date" with one of us.

3. Give Back. I think this goes without saying, but if you only pick one day or a few hours with your children to donate your time to a charitable cause, they will understand the true meaning of giving. This year, my children participated in a blanket event, constructing tie blankets for children in need in our community. They also put together gift boxes for Operation Christmas Child. With my children, I hope they value more the gifts they receive from us. 

Note: I was not compensated for companies mentioned in my post; I included links in case it was something you might be interested in.

If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png
09 10 11 12
Blogging tips