Happy Kids, Inc: The Mayor's Wife: Censored! (Kind Of)
Monday, September 23, 2013

The Mayor's Wife: Censored! (Kind Of)

I started this column with some musings on my life as the wife of a mayor of a small town. My husband has now been mayor about 9 months now.  There have been highs and lows, as I am sure is the case with most political endeavors.  My husband is confident in his decisions, has no regrets to this point.  

And then there is the media.  In our small town of 16,000 people, the "media" is a small local paper, Facebook, and word of mouth.  I kid you not that news in a small town travels lightning fast, especially if you are a prominent member of the community.  

A recent status update on my personal Facebook page was intended as a joke (although based on truth), but turned into much more. When you are in a small town and you are the mayor, you run into friends and constituents everywhere you go.  You get into conversations.  You are apprised of issues.  Absolute requirement of the job, in my opinion.  But I've gotten used to the fact that grocery store runs can take a lot longer than average.  I've grown accustomed to local date nights involving "city conversation".  Given, this does not happen every time my husband or we both are out and about.  But it does happen frequently.

Fast forward to my Facebook post; it was prompted when a trip to pick-up take 'n bake pizza took a lot longer than expected.  My status update poked fun at the town, stating "C'mon Canby, help a girl out?" Again, while this is based on truth, it was meant as a joke.  Think boxers vs. briefs.  It's not like I am tapping my watch at home, waiting for the mayor to arrive back home, as I stand in my flour-dusted apron with a baby on my hip. Besides, I don't even wear a watch.  I will admit that these interruptions are more an inconvenience than bothersome.  It wasn't taken this way.

Calls came into the city and other local offices, expressing concern.  To this I replied, "Really? Can't anyone take a joke anymore?"   It was only meant to make you chuckle. I ultimately felt compelled to remove the post.  The mouthy mayor's wife had to remove her status update.  Dang.

But I think this points to a larger issue with Facebook and other social media.  In my opinion, users are more forthcoming, honest, and open to confrontation & arguments.  It's easy to sound off on a topic from your laptop.  I'm sure you've seen it many times in your Facebook news feed; all those stories that have gone viral and suddenly everyone is an expert on the topic.  I am not saying a lot of those opinions are not founded and valid.  But you also can't tell me that all those users haven't posted a comment simply based on a headline, a photo, or only reading the first few sentences of an article.  

I took a leave of absence from Facebook about a year ago.  And I will be honest, when my post was taken the wrong way, I honestly thought of stepping out of the Facebook ring again.  Truth be told, I felt censored. It's my personal page and I can say whatever I want, right?  I guess you won't be seeing me in the White House anytime soon.
******
Have you had an experience with a Facebook or other social media post that you had to remove? Did you have unforeseen consequences from a social media post?  Do you think what happened to me was justified?


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!
 photo facebooksoft_zps2ca46363.png photo instagramsoft_zps234eaf53.png photo twittersoft_zps7e0a4b92.png photo emailsoft_zps2931cb4a.png photo pininterestsoft_zps05cdae05.png photo googleplus_zps1619805c.png photo tumblrsoft_zpsd813c422.png photo rsssoft_zpsaf899a58.png

8 comments:

  1. Can't even imagine and I have gotten in trouble from time to time with family members, but not the actual town. Can understand why you would want to take a break from Facebook after that and couldn't say I would blame. People really need to take a joke just as it is intended and not make more of it. Good for you speaking up here and sorry you had to go through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Janine. It was more aggravating than anything....!

      Delete
  2. Oh, man. My husband is very lucky he's not the mayor. I'd have him in trouble all the time with my facebook! lol People these days take Facebook too literal and put too much value into funny things people say. Sorry you had to go through this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tiffany, for your comment. That is too funny. I definitely feel like I've got a pause button on my FB status updates, especially if it involves my husband.

      Delete
  3. As a fellow small town girl I can understand what you mean. Everything happens so fast in our town that even this comment that I type will be talked about tomorrow. :) I may take a break from facebook as well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny! I know, I am quietly waiting for the feedback to filter in from this post. Some Facebook friends follow my blog, so I am sure it will get around. ;)

      Delete
  4. As a teacher in a small town I know exactly what you're talking about. We are constantly being reminded that we don't have the same rights to "free speech" on social media because we chose to become public servants.

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips