Happy Kids, Inc: Wine Has Calories!
Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Wine Has Calories!

submit to reddit

It's been a long day for my small business and with the kids.  Spring is a busy time in my household:  dance recitals, soccer, increased activities at school and year end activities.  It's also the busiest time of year for my wedding business.  My days are hectic.

A glass of wine (or two) at the end of days like this are a welcoming reprise.  The kids are in bed, I'm settling in for some blogging and a favorite show, and a glass of wine hits the spot.

Well, that glass of wine has "hit the spot" a little too often lately.  As it turns out, wine has calories!  Who knew?  My favorite friend has interrupted my otherwise healthy lifestyle and aim to maintain a healthy weight.

I've struggled with my weight my entire life.  I've always been active and overall a healthy eater.  But life's little problems get in the way.  As a parent, life can be stressful and you put all your effort into your children.  It's easy to forget to carve out that important "me" time that every parent needs.  So, when I haven't carved out the time to go for a run, do yoga, or have an hour of quiet time, wine is usually the answer to take the edge off at the end of a jam-packed day.
Funny Weekend Ecard: I'll have a glass of wine. Oh who am I kidding, just leave the bottle.
It creates a vicious cycle.  When I am doing those things for myself in the first place, the need for "taking the edge off" is maintained by the stress reduction that "me" time and exercise provides.

Easier said than done, right?  We all know what the right foods to eat are, the amount of exercise we should be doing, and the amount of sleep we need.  It's sometimes easier to take the complacent route when satisfying what we as individuals need.  But in the end, we know we need more.  We need and thrive from that balance of our own needs and those of our family.

I have to keep remind myself of this fact.  Some days, let's face it, that "me" time is a shower or reading for 10 minutes.  Other days are better.  I need to stay focused on that fact, that structuring my life around both myself and my family will ultimately be healthier for all of us.

As for wine.....yes, of course, I will continue to enjoy it.  But I will shift my focus back to it being only part of the puzzle of "me time".   Now, where are my running shoes?


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!


7 comments:

  1. So true about trying to just find ways to have a bit of me time and will say that I also do try to limit my wine intake not only for calories, but because I seem to get headaches from it sometimes, too. I like either reading a chapter in a book or vegging out to even a half hour of something on my DVR or even write a bit, too. But that is just me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right, we must remember that "me time" is super important even if it isn't always easy to find it, over the last year I myself have fallen into a slump and feel like me time is something that never happens, I think I need to reevaluate a lot.
    www.mommysrambles.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try to keep the wine drinking to the weekends only. Tempting to do during the week when things get stressful, but I don't want to have to depend on it all the time just to de-stress.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've been drinking a glass of wine a few nights a week recently. It really helps take the edge off...but if you count calories, it puts the edge back on. LOL Everything is good in moderation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi meg, i agree with you on that "me" time is a shower or reading for 10 minutes! lol! i drink wine occasionally too - every after dinner hehehe

    but really losing weight is just a battle that we always have to fight but you know what, i just decided to surrender and instead i chose to just be healthy...i run if i could especially when my kids are running around...i lift weights if could, that is when my kids wants me to hold them both or both of them just hang on me like monkeys! and they're heavier than weights!
    as long as i am healthy to care for my children(family) i am happy and thank the Lord for that!
    i've long waved bye-bye to bikinis already!

    thanks for joining the Fun Friday Blog Hop! i hope you found some inspiration through blog hopping and hope to see you back this Friday!

    huggies♥
    rea

    ReplyDelete
  6. Any time something that isn't healthy or healthful goes from being a "treat" to being a habit, I think its time to take a good look at it. I too had a time where a nightly glass of wine was a welcome, if not needed part of my routine. But concerns about bad habits (daughter of an alcoholic), as well as weight, it became clear that wine needed to got back into the category of special treat. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ME time is so important! It helps with your sanity. You are so right on all your points. Sometimes it's just easier to grab that glass of wine instead of putting on our shoes. Great job for putting on those shoes!! :)

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips