Happy Kids, Inc: Is It Worth It? Homemade Laundry Soap
Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Is It Worth It? Homemade Laundry Soap

Hey readers!  I've got a new series coming at you every Tuesday called "Is It Worth It?".  The idea is to see if it's worth the trouble to choose one option over another.  Handmade or pre-made?  Organic or conventional?  Car wash or wash your own car?  You get the idea.  So, today's first installment is homemade laundry detergent.

If you are a regular pinner, you know Pinterest is flooded with MANY DIY ideas, including home cleaners.  I thought it would be fun to do a test.  I've compiled the ingredients needed for a homemade laundry detergent powder.  I have bought what I would consider the equivalent store brand of the product.  Here are the two contenders:
1.  Homemade Laundry Detergent ingredients:

-16 cups baking soda ($9.00, bought in bulk)
-12 cups borax (Cost: $16.29)
 -8 cups grated castile or glycerin soap flakes* ($18.00)
-3 tablespoons lavender, lemon or grapefruit essential oil (Cost: $14.95)
*Combine baking soda, borax and soap flakes. Add essential oil and mix with a wire whisk. *Use 1⁄8 cup per load. *Yield: This recipe makes enough powder to last a family of four one year.  

Total yield is 36 cups of detergent (or 288 loads).  Total cost of all ingredients used: $58.24  Cost per load:  .20 cents.
Product ImageProduct ImageProduct Image
All images courtest Amazon.com

Pros:  You control the ingredients, lasts the whole year, reduced impact on the environment due to less packaging
Cons:  Need to buy/order from various sources, invest in container to hold the detergent, time 

2.  Seventh Generation Powder Detergent, 112 oz box, $14.39.  Recommended measurement per load is 1/3 cup.  

Box thus yields 70 loads.  Cost per load:  .21 cents.



Pros:  Pre-made and ready to use, eco-friendly, saves times, widely available
Cons:  You use the scents pre-made, excess packaging (although it's recycled)

Conclusion.  Well, you save a penny per load by making your own detergent.  Based on the pros and cons I outlined above for each version, I have to conclude that it is NOT worth it to make your own detergent.  Unless you are really picky about scents, there are plenty of good, eco-friendly choices out there that are comparably priced to homemade detergents.  Furthermore, you can scout good deals on eco-friendly detergent at places like Costco and Wal-Mart.  Most eco-friendly detergents come in recycled packaging (whether it's liquid or powder).  


If you like what you're reading, I invite you to follow my blog.  Cheers!

10 comments:

  1. What a great idea for a new series - I love making things from scratch, but sometimes it just isn't worth it.

    Really looking forward to following this Tuesday slot.

    Kate x
    http://www.kateathome.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kate. I'm excited, too. It was definitely inspired by Pinterest, but I've got lots of great ideas that aren't so Pin-inspired. ;)

      Delete
  2. Looking forward to more of this series! I've always wanted to try making my own detergent, but I haven't gotten around to it. I think I'll still give it a go eventually...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, not worth making it yourself! Unless you have lots of free time, it's not worth the time and effort...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this! This is such a neat idea!

    I have actually been toying with the idea of making my own laundry detergent for a while now, after reading this, I may not! I wonder if this would work out the same for 'liquid' laundry detergent though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for passing by and following! :) Following you back on twitter now! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm loving this series. I have always wondered if the DIY soap was worth the time and effort.

    Now following you, can't wait to read more.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am so glad you posted this. i have several friends who make their own detergent and that got me to thinking if maybe it was better to make your own. and now i see that maybe its not worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Now Im using a different recipe (1 cup of borax 5.87 for 9.5 cups, 1 cup washing soda 5.99 per box (6.87 cups) not baking soda and 1 whole bar of soap shredded 2.00 or less)for approx 120 loads at 1 tbsp per load. It works great and is 0.03 cents per load when broken down for me in Canada. So for me it is a lot cheaper then anything could be store bought. Just dont want anyone to not try it becuase its saving me a bundle!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My recipe is similar to Lindsey's, I just bought the stuff to make it yesterday. In Texas, here is my cost breakdown. $3.58 for Borax, $3.78 for Washing Soda and $0.97 for Fels Naptha. We don't add scents and have always used All Free and Clear before so this is saving us a lot so I hope no one has a reaction to it.

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips