Happy Kids, Inc: Resolution Inspiration
Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Resolution Inspiration

In previous articles, I have voiced my neutral position on resolutions.  For me, if you want to make a life change, don't do it because it is January 1st.  But, on the other hand, if the new year provides you the motivation you need to finally make that decision, don't let me stop you!


My resolution of getting fit (again) (for the last time) just happened to coincide with the new year.  I lost a lot of weight after my 3rd child, got very fit, but have managed to put some of it back on.  Well, enough is enough! So, with this post, I am going to assume a lot of you have some level of fitness involved in your resolutions.  Maybe it's just a conscious decision to cook more homemade meals and eat healthier.  Maybe it's working out more.  Whatever it is, they all have one common denominator:  HEALTH!  So below, I've compiled some tips, products, and inspirations to keep you on track and focused on why the heck you made such a resolution in the first place.

1.  Healthy cooking via Pinterest.  Pinterest has revolutionized are exposure to blogs, ideas, and inspirations on just about every topic.  And recipes are no exception.  When I need recipe ideas or to reference something, I skip Google and go directly to Pinterest to search for it.  I've never been disappointed when I search this way.  There is always something close to what I was thinking of, or at least inspiration to guide me to a new recipe idea.  If you focus your search on "healthy recipes" or something similar, you will get a good start on ideas.  I recommend following some good boards that focus on healthy recipes, too.

90 Healthy No-Heat Lunches for Taking to Work/school

2.  Treat yourself to one new workout item.  Maybe it's a new yoga mat.  Maybe it's that fabulous hoodie you've been eyeing.  Or, it's finally time for some new shoes.  Nothing can keep you on track like a new addition to your workout routine.  We love this ombre-inspired hoodie from Lucy.

3.  Keep a journal.  I know, I know, I know.  Everyone talks about keeping journals.  But seriously, this is the one thing that has solidly worked for me in regards to food and fitness.  You're accountable when you keep track!  Even when you stray a bit, the stray stays less catastrophic with a journal.  Find your journaling technique that you like the best.  Buy a fun notepad at the store.  Get crafty and use a 3 ring binder, the kind that you can insert inspiring photos or clippings into the cover.  You can also buy Avery clear binder inserts that you can display cut-outs from magazines or other inspiration photos inbetween your journal entries.

We love the journals at Paper Coterie.  They come in cute designs and can be personalized.

                      Flower Bouquet  Ever Thankful   Classic Stripes

If you have a smart phone, I really like the LoseIt! app.  It's free, easy to use, has a slough of pre-entered food items with the options to add your own, and keeps track of your progress well.  No excuses when it's as easy to enter at your fingertips.

Lose It!

4.  Get A Workout Buddy.  Again, another common suggestion, but here's why it works.  You're held accountable.  Work out a schedule with your workout buddy where you can exercise together once a week and also have a "mini meeting", sharing wins and losses for the week.

5.  Commit To At Least One Scheduled Exercise Routine Per Week.  I'm budget conscious when it comes to working out.  We have an elliptical at home, I run, ride my bike, do yoga on the Wii.  But I do find I stay more on target with at least one regular workout per week.  There's a local fitness studio that holds regular TurboKick classes.  It's fun and it changes up my workout a bit.  I sometimes prepay for their once/week or twice/week rate.  Then I have to go!

6.  Do It For Your Kids.  Most of you reading this are Mom's.  When I've run out of motivation for my own personal growth and fitness, I think about my kids.  I need to be healthy and fit for them.  I need to set the good example in regards to healthy eating and exercise.  I need to be there for them!

Let's keep each other motivated! Shares your highs and lows below.  I will share mine as well.  We're all in this together.


6 comments:

  1. ohhhh my gosh! you HAVE to read my latest post. We're SO on the same page. If I set up this linky party would you join? or maybe even be a co-host? it'll be REALLY easy (i'll do all the dirty work) and you would just post on your blog?! email me if you are interested, i think it'll be fun and help us out!!!
    Here is the post Resolution Revolution
    email is laneshatabb@gmail.com :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these :) I am all about getting fitter this year and want to hopefully be ready for a triathalon in August.

    I am your newest subscriber from the Lady Club blog hop!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome! What is your blog address, would love to visit.

      Delete
  3. These are great suggestions I totally agree with you. I like how you are focused more on long term health and lifestyle rather than just numbers on a scale, go you! x

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips