Happy Kids, Inc: Will I Ever Talk On The Phone Again?
Sunday, December 9, 2012

Will I Ever Talk On The Phone Again?

Talking on the phone is so overrated....at least that's my forced opinion nowadays, with 3 children.  Before I had children, I suppose I was a moderate lover of talking on the phone. My time was my own for the most part and my schedule was somewhat flexible.

But let's face it, life with young children is hectic.  I also run a business from home, so between business life and family life, every minute of my day is crammed with activity.  But the time arises that I need to talk on the phone.  Maybe it's business related.  Maybe it's to schedule important appointments, like hair coloring. ;)

Sometimes, my family and friends have the wacky idea that they can actually call me on the phone and speak with me.  Ha!  The minute I reach for the phone and utter a few words, the children who were playing nicely, reading books, and otherwise, acting normal, have now become crazed lunatics.  My leg is being tugged on, the children pull each other's hair, and general chaos ensues.  I'm not sure why exactly this happens with the phone specifically.  There are often times when the children are playing and I need to attend to something that does not involve them or my attention on them.  I am switching out the laundry.  I am doing a quick email check.  I am using the bathroom.  It's not until the phone in use that they somehow realize I am completely unavailable to them.

Funny Cry for Help Ecard: I love when the children are playing nicely and I can have a lovely conversation on the phone with friends...........said no Mom ever.
(If you love this ecard, you can click on the photo to be take to the site where you can share and vote!)

It's not that I don't love talking to friends and family.  It's just so hard and stressful to do with the kids around.  But the bigger issue for me is time.  My time is so limited with the balance of family and my business.  And then the little time I have for myself, I need for me.....that might be a shower, a moment of silence at the coffee shop, or other activity.  So, I am sometimes remiss to admit it that an email, text, or tweet is sometimes easier, more comforting, and more effective than the traditional phone call.  And if you really need to speak to me one-on-one, come by the house.

10 comments:

  1. Hi! Dropping by from Mom's Monday Mingle. Too funny, but don't feel bad...our kids are grown and I STILL hate talking on the phone. I now have an excuse though, we're out in the country and our reception is awful so I have no other choice but to text. :-) Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it! Thanks for the comment.

      Just clicked over to your site and showed you some following love and Twitter love.

      Take care!

      Delete
  2. Bah! I can totally relate! Thank you so much for following me at Moms Surviving Kids! I am happily following you back :)
    hugs,
    Megan@ www.momssurvivingkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Meg thanks for the follow. I'm now following you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a new follower from the Mom's Mingle! Glad to have found you! I hope you will hop over and follow back!
    Merry Christmas,
    Julie @ Hey Mommy, Chocolate Milk

    www.heymommychocolatemilk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You got it! I'll head over there shortly. Thanks so much. :)

      Delete
  5. Ha! I have some random "don't talk to me while I'm on the phone" conversation with my kids EVERY day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never talk on the phone and my friends all know this. I have one that insist on calling me on my phone when I am at work and gets all pissy when I don't call her back or take her calls. She has no concept of life. Love texting, so much easier to do over kids aruging.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOL, Kid or husbands. Talking on the phone is for teenagers of yesteryear. I text now. Period.
    My friends and family gets super excited if I get a moment to call, and that's always when I am in the car, driving, alone.

    Adorable blog!

    :) Melissa
    www.mywatermelonmoon.com

    ReplyDelete

09 10 11 12
Blogging tips